Asperger’s Syndrome on “Arthur”, PBS

“Hi, I’m George! You may have seen me before with Arthur and all my other friends — and my ventriloquist puppet, Wally! — in Elwood City. They’re the best! I also have a new friend named Carl. He knows lots of cool stuff about trains. I never knew there were so many different kinds! Carl told me all about them, and showed me all the great pictures of trains that he drew from memory.”

“When I first met Carl, I wasn’t sure if he liked me or not. He didn’t laugh at my jokes and he didn’t look at me that much while I was talking to him. But then I found out it’s because he has something called Asperger’s Syndrome. I didn’t know what that was until Brain explained it to me. He said that people with Asperger’s see things differently than other people do.”

“Sometimes Carl can get really quiet, or not answer when I say something. He’s not being rude, he just acts a little differently. Now that I understand that, I know it’s ok. I’m learning from Carl that there are lots of different ways to be friends. I’m glad he’s my friend. I like him for who he is, and I think he feels the same about me!”

http://blog.autismspeaks.org/2010/04/04/arthur/

1 comment so far ↓

• #   Allison on 04.19.10 at 4:28 pm     

I love this and I think they’ve done a great job portraying the differences in an interesting way that children can understand. The producer of Arthur is a HGSE graduate from awhile ago! Thanks so much for sharing this.